What I was doing while Bonds hit #756
I was this close to catching Barry Bonds’ 756th home run. Bonds hit the ball almost directly straight at me, but unfortunately, it landed about five miles short of where I was standing in the hallway of my home, as I took a break from cleaning baby bottles to peek into our TV room to watch the at-bat.
Oh well. So I didn’t end up with a valuable piece of memorabilia. I didn’t get to say I was there. But hey, at least I got to hear the fireworks!
1. oddly enough I was helping my better half fold clothes when the record was broken.
2. (Reposting in part from DT)
Hah, I was closer than you were to catching the ball, Ken. I at a laundromat in Glen Park, just a few miles away, when Bonds hit his dinger. And I'm glad I missed it. And I hate doing laundry.
I had a feeling Bascik would be the lucky sap.
At least ESPN can discontinue their caravan of coverage, sparing us more of the blather.
3. "I was at," that is. Darn these itchy fingers.
4. Hmm, there seems to be a "cleaning" theme going on here. Is this some sort of purification ritual, that somehow, we subconsciously needed to cleanse ourselves of this record?
5. I was cleaning my plate of baby back ribs.
6. I think I was participating in a ritual to cleanse my memory of the Dodgers' past week.
Also, I had very, very dirty clothes, a lot of them. That Bonds chose to hit his home run to coincide with that is either ironic or not.
7. I was getting a quote from a guy who wants to replace my windows. A pair of tips to you aspiring salespeople out there:
1. Try not to time your sales pitch so that it prevents me from watching a record.
2. Don't tell me how crummy my house is, even if you and I both know that to be true.
8. I was asleep.
9. The Angels were cleaning Boston's clock, and I was listening.
10. I watched his first 2 AB's downstairs, then was checking the web, about to shut down my computer when I clicked on the Gamecast and saw Bonds was up. Quickly turned on the little TV in my office, and saw him go yard...
11. I was catching up on sportscenter when they cut to the AB. Saw him go yard, then got into a e-brouhaha over at Bronx Banter :)
12. Repost from Dodger Thoughts:
I think I was cooking dinner (a late one) and listening to music. I flipped through some TV channels to see what was going on and I saw what looked like a big celebration, so I figured it happened. I watched for awhile, waited for the reply. Then I went back to checking my spaghetti. And that was that.
13. I'd just flipped off of the Colbert Report and saw a celebration. I watched for about two innings and then went to bed. I was pleased to hear from my drive-time NPR that the Giants lost another game in which Barry set or broke a record.
14. What I was doing: Working on the sports desk at the Lincoln Journal Star, upset that Barry hit it ten minutes to deadline on the night that Lincoln native Joba Chamberlain made his big league debut.
15. i was checking scores on the internet (fox or espn, i don't remember), and this little thing appeared saying bonds was at-bat. i headed for the tv but noticed the dogs needed food and water. i finally made it to the tv just as bonds was rounding first.
i chose the dogs over bonds because they've always been trustworthy and friendly.
16. (Reposting in part from Cardboard Gods)
I was there [that] night. Well, if you zoom up, Google-Earth-style, I was there.
I had to go downtown to retrieve something from the office, which is about four long blocks North of the ballpark. The moment I came outside of the building, I heard a car beeping its horn and loud noises that could have been fireworks. I looked to the sky and didn't see any lights in the fog, but then, I did see the sky light up, and I realized what must have happened. I got in my car, flipped the radio around, and confirmed: Barry Bonds had hit #756.
This might make me the closest?
17. I was in the can throwing up because B*rry b*nds is a cheater and human garbage like him should not be celebrated and this entire "r*cord" is just so much horse sh*t.
18. I was in the can throwing up because B*rry b*nds is a cheater and human garbage like him should not be celebrated and this entire "r*cord" is just so much horse sh*t.